Friday, February 08, 2008

To Keep or Not To Keep


"Pooh!"

"Think, think, think."

I feel a bit like Pooh Bear today.

My dilemma isn't empty honey-pots. In fact, it can be likened to having TOO MUCH honey.

We still have many, many items at our previous house. Some of them are very useful, like the smooth-top range in good condition and lots of outgrown clothes that would easily sell in a yard sale (if it weren't still winter!) and tools that have no garage to go into yet. And all those canning jars. I feel a bit befuddled about the process.

Part of me wants to pack every bit of it into bins and store it "somewhere, anywhere" for later when someone may need an old radio cabinet case. We have a perfectly good woodstove that we want to keep, but how to move it and where to store it until we build a garage? But the decisions can't wait. Today is the last day that we have legal rights to the property. We are acting on the hope that the mortage company could care less during the weekend.

My options:

(1) Pack up everything and put it into storage in our little farm cabin or in the nooks and crannies of kind family members' storage spaces. (The costly option would be to rent a storage unit in town 20 miles away or to buy a storage building...very expensive.)

(2) Pack only those things that are necessary or well-valued. Separate the rest for either charity or the trash.

(3) Have a huge indoor sale this weekend and make a family event out of it. Maybe even "camp" at the old house. Give away what's left.

So here I am, on my thinking stump. Trying to fit it all into my very small bear brain.

3 comments:

MrsMelody said...

Hi. Those are hard decisions. We are military and we move quite frequently. I usually do a combination of 2 and 3. Not much help am I? :)

Blessings

Niki RuralWritings said...

Have a family sale, and let the stuff go :)

Louise said...

I agree with niki ... I've learned over the years to let go of what I don't use and don't have room for. Bless someone else with those things and get on with life. If we're not careful, our things begin to own us rather than the other way around.