Sunday, March 30, 2008

Earth Hour 2008

We participated in Earth Hour this past Saturday, March 29th between 8-9 p.m.

I lit candles and placed them in the bathroom and daughter's room. I placed our 3 oil lamps in our bathroom because....Poor Hubby was not quite finished with grouting the countertops. He finished wiping them down by lamplight, proof without a word that he loves me...

...because I realized that he respected that I wanted to participate even though it put him at an inconvenience for about 20 minutes.

When he had finished, we sat on the front porch together. We checked on our daughter and visiting nephew. They were playing happily with Legos by candlelight and making ghost noises every now and then.

Later, when the t.v. was switched back on for the evening news, I called the kids to see scenes from Earth Hour across the world. It was then that it dawned on me that more than helping the Earth by participating, we have influenced both of those children, by giving them a memory of being part of the very first ever "Earth Hour" movement in the United States. Perhaps they will participate in future energy conservation with the same sense of adventure as their Lego "Indiana Jones" models did in the flickering firelight.

No comments: