Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Near Columbia

As you know, while Son did his job-shadowing, Daughter and I were left with hours to explore the local towns and attractions. Admittedly, it was just a bit harder to find the treasures in and around Columbia but they were there. It was like a treasure-hunt. The effort to find them was well-worth the rewards.

First day, we stopped at a little collectible/antique store and browsed. Nothing too exciting. I did almost buy a manual lawnmower that was in perfect working condition.

Then we decided to have an early lunch.

This is the hidden treasure of eateries in Columbia. This little cafe right on the main square in downtown Columbia, KY is operated by a homeschooling family. I spoke with the mom for awhile (to clear it was o-kay to post these photos) and what a lovely family! They have encouraged their children to go into business for themselves. Their boys run a local construction company and the girls are running this cafe beautifully.
The inside of the cafe is just the thing for this little college-town. Homemade soup and sandwiches and baked goods. On Tuesdays, they have a larger special. The girls were so nice and I enjoyed speaking with them. You must visit here to eat if you are in the area.

Did I say "college-town?" Lindsey Wilson College is a very small campus. It was even smaller when I went there my freshman year. That's right. I revisited the campus. Sad, I know.

This is the girls' dorm. My room (which I admit I loved) was the top front corner there. It had three windows that actually opened! Imagine that on a big campus.

But there has been some changes. I had mainly come to inspect this new addition:

It is a chapel. The architect was a student of Frank Llyod Wright's. I must say that such an artistic building looked a little out-of-place on this very traditional campus, but I hear that they will soon be expanding further, so who knows what turns this little college may take with such inspiration in it's midst. The front door is immense!

Once inside the front door, you are in a round entry way that includes a table with a 3-ring binder labeled "letters to God." You are invited to leave a letter to God. I flipped through the pages and remember how terrible it felt to be a young woman who had no idea how to handle life and it's changes. It reminded me to say a prayer for the students.These doors opened to the hall which connected to the chapel. Notice the circle theme everywhere.The inside of the chapel.The ceiling of the chapel. You can see the outside arch/dome on the roof. I bet on especially sunny days when the sun is just right that the circle pattern shines all over the room.

We also visited the new cafeteria lobby which has a beautiful seashell display from all over the world.

Day two of Columbia.

We did a little shopping at the normal stores for some things we needed, ate at Sonic, then drove out toward the pottery studio again. We took Jeff's advice and drove out to the Casey House on Hwy 80. Boy, are we glad we did!Now, I'm not all that big of a history buff but this place needs to be shouted out loud!Casey House Antiques is owned and operated by the sweet and very creative Marla Shelley. She suggests that you call before visiting as she is often at auctions. I called the number because I wasn't sure if they were open, but she was so friendly and said, "come on up!"This is the front of the house. (I drove to the back and entered that way but I suspect that this is the actual business entrance.) Mrs. Shelley actually lived here before they built a home next to it and turned this into a shop. She has some great stories to tell about how hot it would be in the summer and the wood stoves going in the winter. The addition on the side is not original but old none-the-less. Would you like to see the inside? The foyer, a place where weddings and funerals took place. Notice how she used old chairs (that were minus their legs) to make shelves on the left! This picture doesn't do it justice. There were old letters and postcards on the shelves to the right.
The room to the left of the foyer was a very large room the whole width of the house with a fireplace in the middle. A ballroom for the day? All the rooms had old rugs on the floors and Casey family photos on the walls. Mrs. Shelley says there isn't a single known photo of Col. William Casey himself. To the right of the foyer is this room, set up as a dining room. A small room sits off of this one, toward the front of the house.

This photo is of the original outer wall of the house, now part of the great kitchen. Look at all the old linens! Each room is decorated with such charm. This room also houses the old toys (some of which I can remember quite well. What does that mean??!)

One terribly interesting thing Mrs. Shelley told me about Col. Wm. Casey was that he built this house during the last year of his life. He had arthritis so badly that he always slept sitting up to make it easier to get up. His last request was to be buried sitting up in his grave!

1 comment:

Tipper said...

Thanks for another mini-vacation for me! Coulumbia looks like a neat little town. I love the round chapel so pretty.