Thursday, June 12, 2008

Walk with me today

No, not a physical walk, but a spiritual one. Come see where I walked today and reflected on scripture and blogs and perhaps see the same beauty and lessons that I have.

First this morning, I read the Bible. I am reading it in order, several pages a day in the OT and then a chapter in the NT. Today's reading was Jeremiah chapters 32 & 33 and 2Timothy chapter 3. Click on those links to read it right there on your computer screen.

Now, what I enjoyed learning in Jeremiah 32 was how Jeremiah KNEW it was God speaking to him and not to the other false prophets who were contradicting his prophesy. It was from a simple land transaction that God foretold to Jeremiah and it came to pass so that when God spoke to him again, he was certain of it. How do we know that God is speaking to us today? Hasn't the Bible prophesies come to pass? Hasn't archeologists found proof in the Dead Sea Scrolls and in the timeline? Do you KNOW that Christ lived and died for you? So, can you see that the Bible is God speaking to you, every time you read it? Want to hear from God, speaking directly to you? READ your BIBLE!

I just can't tell you the difference that reading the Bible from cover to cover is making in my life. Even among the sometimes boring (to me) descriptions of how long and wide the temple was built are verses that seemed to pop up as if God was saying, "are you paying attention?" All scripture, yes, ALL of it is good! I've been amazed at how comforting it is to see how God pays attention to the little details and the big picture at the same time.

Opps, I'm trying to get off onto another subject which happens when I get excited. There's just so much to say about how good it is to stay in the Word of God every day (even if I am not at all good at being self-disciplined about it.) Yep, I fail, but I know I miss blessings from it, so I try again the next day.

Also in chap. 33, I noted that vs. 30 shows that God is paying attention to all we do throughout our lifetime, even in our youth. Sometimes, today's church's seem to preach (and certainly the media tells us) that what is done in our youth is easy to forgive and actually expected! Shame on us. Don't tell your own children that, "Well, I was young and stupid then." That's an excuse. Try telling that to the young people who are sitting on death row or in prisons for doing "stupid" things. Instead tell your children, "I regret not learning to know better back then." Boy, I sure wish I had kept in the Word back during my teen years and early 20's!

And vs. 33 shows us to lift our faces to God in prayer and not turn our backs to him. And rise early to do it. Rising early to pray and meet the Lord is a very common lesson throughout the Bible. I never would've noticed it if I wasn't reading it cover to cover.

Chapter 34 foretells Christ. What a blessing to read.

Now here we go... 2Timothy, chap. 3. You've GOT to read this. I love this chapter. It speaks of today too well and woke me up (again) to the danger of being just another christian compared to being a true follower. This one is just too good not to put in text here:

2 Timothy 3 (King James Version)
1This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
(hmmm...sound like today?)
3Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, (Why did Ned Flanders pop into my head? Today people love to despise the Flanders of the world and give a distorted view of them.)
4Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; (the evidence of that last one speaks for itself. What do we love more than God? Well, what do we put first before we spend time in His Word?)
5Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. (BAM! Read that again. Do you have the facade of godliness but live how you like? Do you doubt the power of God except when you judge other countries for their recent natural disasters? Do you know those who do? Don't associate with them. They aren't really Christians but playing the part and fooling even themselves.)
6For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, (I think about how t.v. and the internet and the WORLD has crept their way into our homes and how many women watch soap operas and Oprah and have diverse longings to be swept away or be more of something else they long for. They are controlled by their longings. Be self-aware.)
7Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. (Another BAM! We are a culture who likes to think we know so much, but we put the knowledge of the scripture on the backburner. Even I like to constantly be reading and learning about a simple life, organic and green living, and such, but I must be diligent not to let the true knowledge ever become second to any of that. Not even Christian blogs or books can replace the BIBLE.)
8Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
9But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as their's also was.
(Can you imagine the embarrassment of being a smart person [and don't we all like to think we're smart?] who on the day of judgement looks stupid for ignoring the true knowledge that could've fed your faith in leaps and bounds?)
10But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience, (Paul speaking here...)
11Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me. (Paul praising God despite his trials.)
12Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. (From the Christians in the Middle East and China to the Ned Flanders' of America.)
13But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.
14But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;
(In other words, don't pay attention to those who persecute you - keep your eyes on the Lord and hope in Him.)
15And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. (Bam, BAM! Get your children in the scripture and keep yourself there!)
16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: (How can you use it if you don't know it? How can you know it if you don't read it?)
17That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. (Let the Word work in your life that good will come of it.)

See where I walked today? Then, during my computer time I strolled over to Chats with an "old lady." I've just recently found her blog but have experienced some good fellowship and reproof as a Christian woman through it. Click this link to walk with me what I read there today. I hope you receive a blessing from it. Are you swimming in dirty water and don't know it?

Now, if you've taken the time to take this walk with me, let me know how it was for you. I'm reminded of a recent walk in the woods that Hubby, daughter, and myself took. Two people in the very same family can walk the same path and one might totally enjoy it and thrill at finding little treasures along the way while the other is swatting at bugs and sweating in the humidity. Two people will see things differently or find something the other missed. Only in the walking together do they look through the eyes of the other and get a double blessing. This is why I blog from my hill in the woods. So that I may still walk with other Christians and homemakers and friends.

Where did you walk today?

1 comment:

Tipper said...

I enjoyed your walk!