Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Joy on a foggy day

Today, we are getting the rements of hurricane Fay (or tropical storm Fay or "that big ole rain from down there.") The view is completely gone. Heavy white fog slowly moves through the tree branches like oil-rainbows in the parking lots of town. And it's damp. Damp to the bone this morning. Even the toilet paper sitting near the bathroom window was damp. It immediately took my memories back to my grandparents' outhouse on "the fork." (click here to read some of Judy's memories of "the fork." )

I was wishing for a bright and cheerful fire in the fireplace this morning, but the weather is still just a tad too warm for that. Y'know those fancy fireplace candle holders that the stores sell for outrageous prices? I always thought those to be a beautiful way to cheer up your fireplace during the warmer months. But who wants to drop $50+ for a candle set-up? See? See what I did this morning?!! Oh, I just can't tell you how much it tickles me to see bright flickering flames in the middle of our living room (and it not be that the house is about to burn down.)

Remember that one of my monthly goals for August is to go through the magazine bin and pull out wanted articles (keepers) and recycle the rest of the magazines? See sidebar. Well, I've been working on that. Son needed the bin to carrying things to college so the last of the magazines are occupying the dining room table right now.

A few articles that I've pulled out have made their way to the floor this morning. I suspect the cat tried to get on the table and found the corner to be slippery with glossy pages.

So, I found a photo in one of the decorating mags (which I kept and used when trying to decide how to plan our new home and gardens) that used a clever and CHEAP alternative to get candles into your fireplace.

See? (I used the flash for this photo so that it lights it up enough to show you.) So simple. Just set some candles on a PLATE and set that on the fireplace grate. It doesn't look tacky at all. All you can see is the soft flickering glow at the top of the candles. Very clever. And I didn't even have to buy a thing. (Hey, Annette! Notice anything familar about those candles?) They are from my brother's wedding years ago. (All of my family has a hard time getting rid of things. Her mom made them. There were a lot of candles for centerpieces. These survived and I ended up scavenging them from my mother's basement.)

So, I'm finding little joys around the house this morning. I'm not even letting the weird video chair that is sitting in the middle of the living room irk me. How can I when this scene is the result?
A cat curled up in front of the fire; such a lovely sight (if you look for the loveliness and not at the weird chair or the cheap plate.)

I wish you many little joys today!

8 comments:

Judy said...

Hi Teresa, It has been damp here today, too, but that is about all. You all were lucky to get rain. We got a few sprinkles. We are so very dry! My kitchen floor was damp this morning to my bare feet. I don't have a fireplace but I am getting my candles out right now. I love candles but just forget to light them up sometimes. It has been real cool here today. Something about this day does remind me of the Fork. I had that big old wood stove in the floor and would probably have a small fire today.

Valerie said...

This is so beautiful! What a way to have a fire in the fireplace without the heat. This is my first visit with you and I just love your blog. I will be back.

tipper said...

The fireplace looks great with the candles. We've been enjoying the rain too.

Darla said...

Thank you for visiting me and leaving such a kind comment about my photos.

Rachel said...

I like the candles in the fireplace. We sure did need that rain. Our lawn was crunchy to walk on. We got over 2.5 inches here.

That cat looks totally comfy!

The Tile Lady said...

Love your blog! The little joys are what make life so wonderful!

The Tile Lady said...

Thanks for posting on my blog! I'm glad you liked it. My Mom (Life in Wakefield) and I are new to this, and are really enjoying it. I was up later than usual last night reading your blog and then one of your link's blogs, and having a great time! :-) I have my finger in a lot of pies, I fear! The writing and tile making (Blue Lotus Tile) are my main activities, but I also love the painting and quilting. I can crochet and embroider, but never have time for them anymore. My husband and I raised a wonderful daughter and now have a grandson...husb. was Army and then Air Force and then we moved home to Virginia (I'm originally from Alabama, but my parents of course are now here too) and then to Texas for six years and now back. I LOVE the mountains, and country living and am very old-fashioned in many ways. I feel like we have some things in common! Please visit my blog whenever you can, and thanks for bookmarking it! I did yours too! (Oh, and thanks for answering my question about the liners!) M

Gina@Chats With An "Old Lady" said...

THANK YOU FOR THE BIRTHDAY GREETING!!!!