Monday, August 25, 2008

A new chapter

Daughter took this video of the drive to the dorm. You'll see me walking in the right of the screen at the end, ready to unload the van. I only got to carry a pillow! Upperclassmen were swarming - helping the freshmen move in. Son walked into his room, empty-handed because everything had been carried in already! Gotta love that.
video

After a day of picking up some last minute things, meeting his advisor, setting up his campus mailbox, and paying for the room and board on a hot and humid day, we got back to his room. He was ready for a nap! Loaded up with everything he deemed necessary for a college student. What? Momma didn't cry? Nope, those red faces are from the lack of any air-conditioning in the whole dorm! Gratefully, fall weather is just around the corner.
Nope, no tears. He has a good head on his shoulders and a good heart. I had already talked all the talks and reminded him of all the reminders. Once it was time to go, there was nothing to do but hug and say, "I love you. Call if you need us."

I kept expecting it to hit me. Several of my family members (over the years) told me to my face (and through the grapevine) that I was too involved (wanting to know where he was and what he was doing), made my kids too much of my life (homeschooling), was in their life too much (talked to them before bed at night)... therefore, I would crash when they left. Funny, there was no crash, just a feeling of peace that I knew I had done all that I could do and prepared him to the best of my human ability. Now, only prayers and his upbringing will bring him through the rest of his journey and I will cheer from the sidelines.

Say a little prayer for him as he strikes out on his own and makes new friends and has to study harder than ever before. Pray that he will hear and heed that quiet voice.

Meanwhile, back home, it is very quiet. I finished a Christmas afghan. Daughter and I are gearing up for a new homeschool year. We plan to restart art classes. We need rain. Our tomatoes are finally ripening up. I got to spend some time with my two wonderful friends, Catherine and Cat. We had a wonderful time and I look forward to more.

In the coming months, daughter will have a birthday and there will be a festival to go to nearly every weekend! Busy, busy.

4 comments:

Marci said...

Teresa, you are a better woman than I am. I would have cried like a baby. =)

Judy said...

I did o.k.when mine left. It took me about a week for it to really sink in. I started crying at work one day and had to come home! I can't believe it is fall already and almost time for all the fall festivals.

Darla said...

What a wonderful new chapter in both of your lives. I had that some peace when my oldest left home, she's 24, when you know what you know, what you know that you did your best give God the rest!

Doreen said...

Hello. I'm so glad I found your blog...i LOVE it. Love the blog name!

I took both my children off to college this past wknd..my daughter is returning as a Junior and it is my sons first year....There were no tears for me either..I'm just so excited and thrilled for them both..they are happy and excited and that's what matters most. You sound like a wonderful mom to me... do not listen to those that tell you how to parent...follow your heart and you can't go wrong.

I will be back to visit soon.

Blessings,
Doreen