Sunday, September 21, 2008

Constitution Square Festival 2

This is a continuation from my last post...

There were simply too many interesting things to squeeze into one post! And I'm not so sure I shouldn't made it into 3!

There were at least 3 author booths, but my favorite was Russ and Virginia Vassallo. What interesting people, and then I find they live on a farm very near to where an old friend used to live in my county! Please visit their site , explore it then buy their extrememly interesting and wonderful stories.

There were also several photography booths. This is the one that Hubby made a purchase from...
I love that proceeds go to charity. I've copied the other side of the bookmark that includes samples, and the photo that Hubby actually bought. They are grainy on purpose for this post. I wanted you to get a feel of their subject matter without meanies being able to come along and copy their work.Hubby hopes to build a split-rail fence like this one on our property.

Here, you can see a broom-making demonstration and buy yourself a broom of any size.
Now, how neat is this contraption! It's a man-powered scrollsaw!
video

Above, you can see the sign for these living historians. (And the Kettle Korn booth next door.) Mr. Drewry plays the instruments of yesteryear and his wife explains the history and significance. Did you know that the hammered dulcimer is a predecessor of the piano? One of these came over on the Mayflower.
video

Here, this lady was explaining (very well, I might add) the process of spinning. I just love how she is barefooted and has her toes wrapped around the leg. This tells me that she actually does this at home and has grown accustomed to this position. Notice the fine fabrics in the background. (Mountain View Crafts, Linda Thompson, Mt. Sterling, KY, email: l.thompson@moreheadstate.edu)

We had a wonderful time visiting with Larry Wilcher, a former co-worker of Hubby's. His booth was full of so many wonderful things. There were even copies of a 1733 Bible for sale, handbound and covered with leather. I could've thumbed through it all day. (The original was bought off Ebay for $100!)
Here, you see just a sampling of powder horns and hatchets.
Yes, those spoons and combs are made out of horn! There were dried foods and spices, clothing, whistles, and so much more.
(Rolling Fork Trade Co.-"Purveyor of fine accoutrements and dried foods", buy-sell-trade, Larry Wilcher, Junction City, KY, (859) 854-3762, (859) 583-2156)

Here you see Hubby and Daughter visiting a civil war camp and hearing about some of the things you could expect to have as a traveler/soldier. You can see some of the permanent historic buildings in the background. Below, we are waiting for butterfly fries. In case you don't know what those are, the fellow in the green apron uses that drill to slice a whole potato and then will deep fry it. You can see the Ephraim McDowell House on the right side of the photo. They give tours and we plan to go soon along with touring the historic buildings at Constitution Square itself and the Community Arts Center just up the road.
There is constant music on stage during the festival. After this young man on the banjo, followed a group with the whole nine yards of bluegrass music. I believe that the local dance school usually performs for an hour and sometimes you will be blessed to catch some wonderful story-tellers too.

video video
After this number, he apologizes for leaving off his bar that changes the banjo pitch therefore his singing didn't match up with his instrument. Guess I picked the wrong song to record! Then he demonstrated how what he plays is the old mountain music, in which you use your fingers as drums on the stings - comparing it to bluegrass music in which you strum and use picks. According to him, bluegrass music has only been around since the early 1900's and the first pick was a cut from a soda can.

I'm sorry that the video is shaky as I pan the crowd, but I wanted to give a feel for the atmosphere. Toward the end, Hubby comes back with our rib-eye sandwiches and I give you a good look at those butterfly fries. Yummy!
So mark your calendar for the 3rd weekend of September so you can enjoy it for yourself next year!

4 comments:

Judy said...

What a great day. This event is certainly worth going to see. I love all the pottery, baskets, and wooden toys. Used to go to this when I lived in Boyle County. So many interesting things to see and do there.

Marci said...

I love to go to this type of thing. I am sure you had a wonderful time.

The Tile Lady said...

You and I were attending Heritage Days at the same time! Looks great in your pictures! I didn't do much narrative on my posts, as I was by myself and only there for less than two hours...have chronic fatigue and couldn't handle more...but I tried to capture the feel of things in my picture! I love how you added links to some of the craftspeople, etc!

The Tile Lady said...

Oh, by the way, love the new look of your blog! The header picture is so beautiful!

Love the area around Danville! It looks like they put on a great festival!