Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Around Here - February 2009

Hello, all! Just an update to let you know our "doings" last month. It's been spent by having school and everyday chores for the most part.

Did I ever show you the garlands I made for the kitchen windows? No? Here they are. Actually, I made these back in early December. I used the old cookie-cutters from my childhood (thanks, Mom!) and strips of fabric on a length of sturdy wire. I also added lots of my own junk, like sun-catchers and crystals. You should be able to enlarge the photos by double-clicking on them. I've also been crocheting more than usual. For Valentine's Day, I made these hot pads. They were originally meant to be dishwashing cloths, but they were big and pretty enough to elevate to a higher purpose. I made striped ones (like the one below) and solid reds ones. If you look closely, you can see the heart pattern in each of the four sections.
We enjoyed a week in February by having my brother's family staying with us. They have two small children and three chihuahuas. Here, the dogs and our niece are napping on the couch. Boy, my memories of having small, active children and small dogs were dusty until then!
Because they live 5-6 hours away, lots of family came to visit them while they were here. It was a full week of keeping house, making dinners, and schooling but it went very well. Here's another niece, over for a visit, and looking like she has puppy-dog ears too.

I also enjoyed quite a bit of leisure reading in February. I checked out "Harbin's Ridge" by Henry Giles and "40 Acres and No Mule" by Janice Holt Giles from our local library. And I found a copy of "Your Clothes Say It For You" by Elizabeth Rice Handford (the author of "Me? Obey Him?") at the local thrift shop for 50 cents. This month, I plan to check out "Miss Willie" by Janice Holt Giles, "Passionate Housewives, Desperate for God" by Jennie Chancey and Stacy McDonald, and several gardening books. I'd like to mention that I've received a deeper understanding of my "ridge ways" through the Giles books. So much of our Kentucky hill culture has/is being wiped out by the influence of television and the internet.

In March, we hope to cut a few large trees that have been shading our garden spot and then begin work on building raised garden beds. Hubby has been bringing home discarded/damaged block from work for this purpose.

This past week, nine wild turkey sauntered through our front yard. The bare ground near the camera is just a few feet from our front porch, so you can see how close they were! I got tickled at the brave one venturing close to the house. I could imagine the others saying as they froze in place, "There she goes again. She'll get us all eaten with her brazen ways!"

video

That's the news from our neck of the woods!

6 comments:

Marci said...

The video didn't show up and I couldn't make the pictures larger. :(

annette and matt said...

Thank you for having us over for so long! I'm sure you were half crazy by the time we left haha! Glad you had a good month and got plenty of reading done. Thanks for the hot pad by the way :) It's really thick so I can't imagine using it for a wash cloth but it works great for a hot pad!

Judy said...

Hi Teresa, I just love the new look of your blog and your windows look great with all your handmade items. I have read every single Janice Holt Giles book and own most of them. They are just great books about Kentucky. Sounds like you had a good visit with relatives. You are so lucky to live out where you can see wild turkey right in your yard. I am so ready for spring.

Marci said...

Yeah!!! I got to make the pictures bigger and watch the video. Your garland is darling!!!

The Tile Lady said...

Hey there, Lady! Glad to see your comment on my blog! Yep, we enjoyed the snow but it's now long gone, and we are having 70's weather and enjoying the heralds of spring!

Love your Saint Patrick's Day template! The blog looks great! How nice to have your brother's family visiting! I know you must have really enjoyed having them there.

Marie

Amrita said...

Hello lady, your creations are fantastic.

You must be busy in your garden now.

Hugs to you