Wednesday, May 06, 2009

April Showers

Or should I say MAY showers! My yard is looking like a jungle from not having a dry day to mow it. But the blessing is that the frequent rain means the water table is rising and perhaps we will not be in drought conditions this year.

I apologize to those who check my blog every now and then and find I am not posting as often as I used to. God has been working on me. Blogging is one of my lowest priorities right now! This is why I really like the "follow" option that Blogger has, because when I DO post, followers immediately know.

Sunlight on the kitchen table.

Let's see, what to report?

Ah, a big deal for me is that I am eating less and losing some weight. I have lost 15 pounds over the past three months. It's hard for others to tell yet. Only my sister-in-law has noticed because she hadn't seen me in a long time. Today was supposed to be my first day to add exercise to my daily schedule, but schedules and my life rarely match up. Then I read this in my scheduled reading this morning:

"For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come." 1 Timothy 4:8

Ummmm.... do you remember that song from "The Color Purple"... "God is Trying to Tell You Something"?

What did I end up doing instead of my exercise that was scheduled between 6:30 and 7:30? Catching up on what I was scheduled to do between 5:30-6:30. (I am laughing and shaking my head.) Instead, it was lain on my heart to write a message to my son about another Bible verse I read this morning.

All I can say is that when He wants you to do something for Him, one has little excuse of "but it doesn't fit into my schedule!" The only schedule these two keep is to fuss if they aren't fed by 6:30 a.m.!

Speaking of my son, he is still living in the next county over with his girlfriend's family and working a fast-food job. He is still hoping to be accepted by Western Kentucky University for this Fall, but if you would lift him up in prayer... I have seen that he is nervous about the uncertainty of his future and (after this morning's letter to him that felt like God's hand on his future) he needs prayers for protection, direction, and his walk. It just simply feels and looks like God is getting ready to move in his life in a mighty way, to provide him with a chance, an opportunity, and he is at a crossroads that might greatly affect his Christian life and his chance to be blessed. But, he is doing well and visiting more often.

But we did recently have "the talk" - the one where we actually put into words what each of us already knew: this is now his parent's home, and what was once his room is now a guest room where he is welcomed as a guest at any time.

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. And he accepted it too. But I still haven't touched his room. Uh.... I mean, the guest room/school room/library.

Daughter is growing tall, a good 5 inches or more taller than me now and she's only 12! She now has someone whom she calls a best friend, another home-educated girl. And finally, she loves to read when she hated it before. All these things feel like true blessings.
Daughter walking along the big popular tree Hubby cut down this Spring, due to it's age and it's shading the garden spot.

I, on the other hand, have recently been feeling the need to withdraw into my home, my farm, my work, my mission, my blessings, to the things that God calls me to put my hand to at home. Of course, what I mean is that my priorities are calling. This has left me a little sad - because I had hoped to be developing relationships with new friends. Unfortunately, the timing seems bad for them also, having other things to do and interests that have called them to different paths than the one I'm on. I don't resent it. I am glad for their blessings as I am for mine. I have been experiencing a time of growth in this relationship with Christ and becoming bolder in that walk.

I have been reading a lot of gardening technique books and making plans, both short-term and long-term, for a large yard that is completely garden and walkways. And I am studying about greenhouses and chickens. And wildflowers and native plants and trees.
I'm slowing working on the flower beds in front of the porch.

And it is my goal to pinch every penny to apply extra principal to our mortgage. Instead of being 70 when our house is paid of, we COULD be 55 and save over $56,000 in interest. That's a big difference! How nice would it be to know I saved us $56K and freed up 15 years in which to use our blessings to help our own children and grandkids instead of scraping by for ourselves?!!!
Line-drying the clothes saves us $40+ a month. Just don't hang your hummingbird feeder on the porch with the clothesline!

So, I am now being very frugal by planning weekly menus, home-cooking everything, learning how to provide our own cheaper yet healthier foods, and looking at our long-term goals even more than ever. This can leave one feeling a bit odd in today's society, a bit isolated, a bit lonely at first. But this transition is what I have been experiencing - and as I settle into it I've found that loneliness is being replaced by a sense of purpose and joy in learning and satisfaction in living a much more simple, mindful life.

I do hope to post again soon; about my new grain mill that Hubby bought for our anniversary from Marci at Amazing Graze Store, about experimenting with sourdough, about our searching for a solution to a leak in our berm home - a creative solution. If you get to wondering about me, please just say a prayer for us and trust that He is working in our lives and we are spending the time seeking that growth. And you can always send me a little note via the comments or my email... (smiles to my friends)!

With much love to all of you,
Teresa

P.S. My sister-in-law's family is still waiting on a check from the insurance company and living in their garage. Also, please pray for Chris who is Molly's dad. He has been in very bad health since three days after the tornado and is still in the hospital.

6 comments:

Louise said...

I gain such a sense of peace when I come to your blog Teresa ... thank you for your words and for following the leading of our Father in your life. You're living in such a way that He is sure to sure to one day say "Well done good and faithful servant, enter into your reward". His is the only opinion that matters and His glory is what we should seek in all we do.

I pray for your son .. for the Lord to draw him into a deeper relationship with Himself ... to give him wisdom and discernment in the days ahead and for His will be done in his life.

I also pray for Chris' health to improve so that he might soon come home.

Though I've not lived in Ky since I was a child, in a sense it is still 'home' and you make it more real with your pictures and your words.

Blessings my dear friend. I wish we lived close enough to visit; but since we don't, I'm thankful for the internet and our blogs.

Marci said...

Lots of stuff going on there. It is always hard when God is trying to grow us. Hang in there my friend... you will come forth as a jewel fit for heaven!!!!

Ladyfromthewoods said...

Friends,
I am so blessed and encouraged by your comments, almost to tears. But I am not worthy of any recognition of what God has done in me - it's all Him. I have such a long, long way to go and even if I get there - grace will be the only thing that can cover my lifetime of sin. All I want is to slip into the door and serve without fanfare. Anything more would be too much. It might sound like I'm humble, but truthfully, what I really am is ashamed that I caused Him pain of the cross and work as a shepherd of this lost sheep. I wish I could be one of the 99 who never strayed. But I know that you, friends, understand what I'm feeling and trying (rather badly) to say.

I've been debating some serious telling of my life confessions - things that everyone will hear on judgement day anyway. If any of my situations or stories of change from the lowest of the low can help someone else relate to Christ and bring Him glory/credit for His work in my life, then I'd like to start a series. However, it will need some time and work before posting - time to tell others first who could be hurt or embarrassed that they know me!

Hubby says I should write a book. I've always said that no one would read it - cause it's the same story of millions of others. The only interesting thing would be the way in which God moved in my life to change my thinking, living, and actions. That's where the lessons are!

Enough rambling. This morning is our only predicted break from rain so gotta keep the laundry going!
Love, teresa

Judy said...

Hi Teresa, It is so good to hear from you. I, too, need this break from the rain to at least get the grass mowed! I will pray for your son. If he is beginning to realize things about his life, he is growing and will be okay. I love your flower beds and you thinking of frugal ways to save money. When my girls were little and I was on the farm, I did the same thing. I still do it a lot. I dry most of my clothes on a drying rack, still buy flour, sugar and meal in large bags, make my own bread, etc. On the farm, I canned and froze everything and we killed our own beef besides having wild game in the freezer. I loved it. I wish I could go back and do it again! I remember buying the Foxfire books and I was going to make my own soap and my mother-in-law said I was going to kill my kids with the lye!
I think living that way gives us so much peace in our lives that we don't have living in cities and spending lots of money.
Well, I have written the book!
I am sure your book would be interesting and no one would criticize you. We all have a past and we should not judge anyone else but learn from the mistakes we have made and those of others.
I am so glad I found you. You are a wonderful, sincere, person and I feel priviledged to know you. Hugs.

Tipper said...

Well it sounds like you've been busy, productive-and happy! I will certainly say a prayer for your son-and for the others.

Catherine said...

Hi Teresa,

Just checking your blog. It's been a while and I realize it is because I thought you were ending it, then I checked back a few months ago and forgot you were still writing one.

I can't believe it has been six months since I've seen you or Cat.I have felt the same way as you about "developing friendships" and realize I dropped a few balls during the spring.

Can we get together soon? It's hard that I'm not more tapped into the homeschool group where I realize much is happening.

All best and great to read your blogs again!

xoCatherine