Friday, June 26, 2009

Good gifts

I've been dieting since February - basically taking spurts of starving myself, recording my food intake, and doing a lot of inner evaluation (and brow-beating) of my weight issues. (About 4 months worth.)


Now, 15-20 pounds lighter but having hit a "plateau", I am beginning to wise-up. In my diet notebook, I've drawn analogies between hunger and a forest fire, food and guns, and written down lots of Bible verses and motivational quotes.


But nothing compares to this newest realization (and so simple that I feel quite slow.)


I can eat all day long. Yep. I've been doing it this week and the pounds have been melting off. I haven't been hungry once. I haven't even exercised other than daily housework or normal garden activities. I have craved junk food and naps on occasion, but I know it's only because my flesh is revolting against the weight loss and that my upcoming weight maintenance will be much, much easier. It has been obvious that these occasional comfort-food cravings are not REAL hunger when I KNOW I just ate enough food that I would be miserable if I had a piece of cake too!


What am I eating, you ask? One thing is milk and eggs from free-range, country animals. Raw milk has stopped my old milk cravings (that needed cookies to go with it, right?!) I suppose that's because the raw milk still has all the vitamins, minerals, and natural enzymes intact. During the times that we've switched back to store-bought milk, it just doesn't satisfy! See the connection? Once glass of raw milk, one vitamin-packed egg, and I don't crave more and therefore don't eat more than I need.


Also, lots of filtered water. And snacking on all the fruits I want. Veggies all I want! Yogurt, raw cheese, salsa from the gardens of friends, nuts & seeds when I want something crunchy. Nearly every breakfast is a toasted slice of whole-wheat, sourdough bread drizzled with local honey. No more skipping meals!

The key is to not let yourself get hungry! Stay full on healthy stuff - the stuff God gave us and not the stuff that factories have taken and processed for shelf-life (like ramen noodles, white flour, corn syrup-laden products, NASTIES!) This way the ravenous fire of hunger meets a barren place where it cannot burn and demand fuel that will flash fire!Purple tomatoes in pots with our garden spot in the background.

More than ever, I understand that no diet product, no exercise dvd, nothing is as good as wholesome food. I can't even describe how these 4 months have changed my tastebuds. Food of empty calories just don't satisfy me. Milk chocolate tastes like wax now - only dark chocolate will do. Pasta and bread must be whole wheat or else it tastes like paper. Rice too.

I am still in-process and wish that I could help you if you are in the same weight prison. However, I can only offer you the encouragement that if you change your thinking and your eating habits (eating to live not living to eat) then your body will change too. And although I still have approximately 40 more pounds to lose to be at a healthy weight, I am no longer going to rush it with starvation (don't deny God's good gifts!) or diet gimmicks, or exercise bulimia (that steals my energy from my more joyful activities!)


I'm gonna eat, eat, eat, and drink REAL milk and lots of water and enjoy where I am at. And give all glory and praise to the Lord that He has heard my prayers for wisdom and good health. To deny His good gifts, well, that's just plain rude!


(Note: free clip-art from Penniwig's. Thanks, Dearie! See her link in my sidebar.)

3 comments:

Louise said...

Congratulations! On learning the why's of your eating as well as the weight loss. I wish we were in a place we could get raw milk, but the closest we come is organic milk, not raw, pasteurized. And I occasionally get real fresh eggs when my sister sends them in from her place which is two hours away from us.
Good lessons Teresa ... keep them coming.

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

I think you have given out some excellent and important advice, and I'm going to keep it in mind. I can see you are so right about not getting so hungry that grabbing up ANYTHING and gobbling it down(and in my case, grabbing EVERYTHING) is the immediate response! Thank you for sharing your story and helpful ideas!!!

Amrita said...

Congratulations at losing htat weight.

We use what is called fat free skimmed milk or toned milk