Friday, July 03, 2009

Middleburg Dairy Freeze

Some nights you are just too hot or too tired to cook.

And you feel like having an old-fashioned banana split.

Last night was just such a night for us.

Thank goodness the Middleburg Dairy Freeze is a short drive away!

At the intersection of Hwy 198 and 3270 (best known as Indian Creek Road), this hopping little stop will take you back to the day - and satisfies the nostalgic heart like only a hot, juicy hamburger and a cold, creamy cone piled high to the sky can do.

Shelly Adair (seen here taking Hubby's order) bought the establishment 8 years ago. At age 64, she has kept it up and running for the past 3 years. It is obvious that the place is near and dear to her heart. Everything is clean and neat. Not a piece of trash in sight. Potted flowers on the patio.

Culinary fare is the burger or hot dog among other hometown delights. Hubby orders the "super dog", which means it would take super-man to pick you up after eating it - smothered in chili, cheese, and onions. I go for the simple corndog. Shelly asks me if I want mustard or ketchup. Most places don't ask - but Shelly does. "Ketchup, please." It's served with a small cup of ketchup, just right for dunking. Little touches.

Daughter drops her burger on the way to the patio nearby. Upon realizing it, Shelly immediately calls back another one, reciting exactly the way it was special ordered the first time. But the burger had only lost it's bottom bun. I insist that she cancel the order and she replaces the bun at no extra charge. But the new burger wasn't going to be charged to me either. It was an accident. Yep, it's that kind of place.

Two concrete patio sets under a pavillion are the spot to enjoy your hot food (or ice cream). A creek bubbles in the adjacent field. One can enjoy watching the occasional car or tractor pass by. Teens hurrying to a date. Locals wave heartily out an open truck window. A tractor loaded with hay turns onto Indian Creek.

Shelly gives FREE ice cream to any of the local churches having Vacation Bible School - cones or cups. "We prefer cups, because we can make and keep those frozen plus the church can just pick them up if they want. But I love when they bring the kids here; those little faces all light up when they get their cone." I wonder if she knows her own eyes sparkle too. She lists the churches by name. 150 cones to one, 125 to another, another one coming up this week. "You tell the churches to contact me if they want ice cream for their VBS." local exchange - 9728

The elephant on the lawn MUST be mentioned! "I don't know how many kids have rode him," Shelly laughs. "I brought him with me all the way from out-of-state." Until recently, this fellow was not cemented to a slab and on occasion he would be tipped over by prankster teens. I know this because we've been there not long after the last tipping. But character is built when one has to pick up the same fellow whom I am sure was much harder to set up then push down!

Elephant-tipping in Casey County. Who knew?

However, this is not a Mayberry report about the little dairy freeze. Ms. Adair is thinking of selling for health reasons. "I've just not had the heart to call a realtor yet."

Who will continue this community business? Will they have the vision that Shelly has had - a dream of little faces peering over the counter? Will those same youngsters be met with sparkling eyes and a cold, creamy cone?

Oh, I do hope so with all my countyfied heart.

13 comments:

Marci said...

When I come to sit on your porch and drink coffee with you, we will have to go and visit this delightful place!!!

Catherine said...

Teresa! Wonderful blog! The answer to our prayers...we've been hoping for such a place around here to really feel like it's summer. And another possible prayer, too. I'll email ya.

Maybe we could meet for supper one night--I might just throw the tired boys (all of three of them!) and head over right now for a treat (after they come in from brushhogging).

What a wonderful blog, thank you, thank you!

Catherine said...

PS Did I tell you that you are a great writer?

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Those kinds of places are pure gold, dearie. Not gold in the owner's pocket, no, but gold in that they make untarnishable memories and enjoyment for young and old. TRADITIONS and happy times that money can't buy. What a wonderful person Ms. Adair is and I hope her health strengthens and that the new owners, if she sells, will try to match her loving heart and vision.

Louise said...

Oh Teresa, you take me back to when we visited family in Letcher Co., KY ... we just HAD to go to Isom for a milkshade every time we were there. I surely hope someone with a heart as big as Shelly's can buy the place. Blessings to you and yours. Have a safe July 4th holiday my friend.

Catherine said...

Well, we drove up the long country road that is 837 to 70 and over past Middleburg. It was such an adventure. We all had so much fun as part of it was the element of surprise and we hadn't eaten "bad" food in a long time. Delicious cheeseburgers! Top rate, in fact. I nibbled on a few onion rings and had three sips of milkshake (not that they weren't delicious but because I'd had "enough"--now THAT's progress!) but devoured the cheeseburger.

Thanks for your inspiring blog--I will likely blog about it myself! xo

Catherine said...

Well, we drove up the long country road that is 837 to 70 and over past Middleburg. It was such an adventure. We all had so much fun as part of it was the element of surprise and we hadn't eaten "bad" food in a long time. Delicious cheeseburgers! Top rate, in fact. I nibbled on a few onion rings and had three sips of milkshake (not that they weren't delicious but because I'd had "enough"--now THAT's progress!) but devoured the cheeseburger.

Thanks for your inspiring blog--I will likely blog about it myself! xo

Tipper said...

Sounds like a wonderful place-wish there was one around here. I do hope if she has to sell-someone just like her takes over.

Judy said...

I think it is wonderful that one of these places still exists. I used to love to go to places like this. There was 2 in Lebanon. One on each side of town. I could not go there without stopping. If I was younger this would be right up my alley. I loved reading about the kids and seeing the pictures. Hope you and your family had a good 4th of July.

Rachel said...

What a neat place! It'll be a shame to see it fall by the wayside. I hope that doesn't happen.

Rhonda Jean said...

I love this place and your post about it. What a lovely woman, such a generous heart. I hope someone similar buys it when she goes.

Louise said...

Today is Sept. 5 my friend and I had to let you know that you've been on my heart for days. I've been praying for you and sincerely pray all is well with you and yours.

May God's richest blessings be yours

Marci said...

So did the Dairy Freeze people kidnap you? Where for art thou my friend????????